Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The 'microphone' is always on...

The other day we were talking about our filter...the one between our thoughts and lips.  We reminded each other of how often we speak without filtering.  Oh the way of man...this is an area of constant refinement in my life.   Gossip and slander are lurking around every corner of conversation.  Just yesterday an unfortunate conversation happened between two political leaders of the free world.

"I cannot stand him. He's a liar," Sarkozy told Obama. The US president responded by saying: "You're fed up with him? I have to deal with him every day."

Neither leader apparently realised that microphones that had been attached for a press conference had already been switched on, allowing journalists waiting for a press conference to hear the conversation.
The exchange was first reported on the French website Arrêt Sur Images, and was later confirmed by a Reuters reporter who also heard the remarks.

The gaffe came before a press conference while the two presidents were in a private room.

Pondering this 'gaffe' made me remember instructions for right living as found in the Bible.   It is written, "But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken."  And again it says in another writing, "Consequently, each of us will give an account of himself to God."

Sadly, the thought of getting 'caught' saying something unedifying about another is humiliating.  But the reality is that I should be more humbled knowing that God in Heaven is listening to every word. To Him my personal microphone to His ears is always on.  "In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears."  I am grateful that He is listening.  Why should it surprise me that the God who hears my prayers and praise and cries will not also hear every other word.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

References:  Matthew 12:36, Romans 14:12, Psalm 18:6, Psalm 19:14

No comments: