Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Because of Him - I am reminding you

In order to deflect conversations of faith,  one might say they 'do' the 10 Commandments. Before seeking after God, and as a religious person, I would say the same thing. But truthfully, I never fully took in the teachings of the 10 Commandments.  Choosing not to be distracted by the language of thou shalts and thou shalt nots and reading them, I was convicted to the core and my heart hurt.

1. Have no other Gods before me.

2. Do not make or bow down to any idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters.  You shall not bow down to them or worship them.

3.  Do not misuse the name of the Lord.

4.  Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.  Do no work - you or your children.

5.  Honor your father and mother.

6.  Do not murder.

7.  Do not commit adultery.

8.  Do not steal.

9.  Do not give false testimony against your neighbor.

10. Do not covet.

 (read Exodus 20: 1-17)

There is another teaching that hurt my heart when I read it ... the Beatitudes.  The teachings of Jesus to his disciples as he sat with them on the mountainside.  He made 8 points that showed where his followers needed to adjust their attitudes.  (The parenthesis are a personal interpretation of each point.)

1. Poor in Spirit (recognizing one's spiritual bankruptcy and need for God)

2. Mournful (of one's own sin and recognizing the pain it causes others as well as myself)

3. Meekness (Humility. I don't always have to win! No room for pride or arrogance.)

4. Spiritual Hunger for Righteousness (A heart that truly longs to seek God in all circumstances)

5. Mercifulness

6. Pure Heart (and Mind)

7. Peacemaker (Is my response to conflict anger and bitterness, or willingness to bridge the gap?)

8. Persecution (How I stand for what is right without reacting defensively or with self-pity)

(Read Matthew 5:1-10)

Before every point Jesus makes he says, "blessed are" and goes on to explain what characteristics are to be found in every child of God. And at the end of his teaching he says, "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you BECAUSE OF ME.  Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (v 11)

Those prophets of the Old Testament made sure to remind the people of all God's Commands.

After rereading the 10 Commandments and the Beatitudes, I am even more firmly convinced of my need for a Savior. How about you? How about your children?

 

No comments: