Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Resolve

I love a fresh start.  A new year and new hope in newly made resolutions. But resolve takes more effort and courage than lightly made decisions at the midnight hour or a clean page on the calendar.

According to dictionary.com resolve means; "to come to a definite or earnest decision about; determine (to do something)

Three specific times (and there are others) we are reminded of great resolve in the bible.

The prophet Daniel, as a teenager, had to decide if he would follow the ways of the world or stand firm in his faith in the God of Israel. As a captured prisoner of war, his conflict was to eat and drink in ways that went against the tenets of his faith. Daniel wanted to believe God would protect him if he honored God.  So it is written, "But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way." Daniel 1:8

In another part of the bible, God is speaking through the prophet Malachi as a strong warning to the Priests of that time who were leading His people away from the truth. God spoke, "If you do not listen, and if you do not resolve to honor my name,” says the LORD Almighty, “I will send a curse on you, and I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have already cursed them, because you have not resolved to honor me." Malachi 2:2

And later we see the Apostle Paul speaking to believers in Jesus 2000 years ago.  He is pleading with them to not become divided over doctrine. Though Paul was highly intelligent, highly educated, and very capable of 'winning' any religious debate, he believed in the power of God to persuade his listeners to understand the truth of Jesus. He came and preached a simple message and reminded them, "When I came to you brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." 1Corinthians 2:2

So this year, I want to resolve to follow Jesus the Messiah. To walk in His ways as He leads. And to trust that He who began a good work in us will carry it on to completion.

"As the time approached for him to be taken up to Heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem." Luke 9:51

No comments: