Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Restraint

This weekend is my family reunion.  Lots of people, lots of food, and lots of talking. It will be a great opportunity to catch up...and listen.  Growing up youngest out of 5 women in one household, I learned to choose my words.  Often, while thinking on those words and choosing, someone usually spoke them!  Remaining silent made more sense.  Believe me, it was knowledge too great for me to understand at the time!  It wasn't that I didn't want to talk - but why repeat what was just already said. Today's proverb is a biblical way of looking into choosing words with restraint and the wisdom of silence. So thank the Lord next time you are edged out of a conversation and forced to listen; you will be thought of as very wise :)

 "A man of knowledge uses words with restraint,
  and a man of understanding is even-tempered.
  Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
  and discerning if he holds his tongue."

Proverbs 17:27-28

No comments: